>  Ashley said that was done as well as changed the hardware
>  single boot
>  disk from master/slave.  The only solution seems to be
reinstall hdb
>  which indicates to me that it is not hardware related but
>  something is
>  causing the partitions to be changed. There maybe some
link or
>  something.  What I did notice is there wasn't a /boot
>  partition in the
>  listing that was sent

The new Drive B was apparently "Blank", but fixed the
problem
which in my mind points to the BIOS doing something to the
hardware
level address to shift the drive A address away from the
canned value
stored within the MBR.

GRUB wont care about partition tables or the fdisk drive
slices
in the MBR section, it is too small a program to have too
much
filesystem intelligence. It just needs to know which disk
drive and how
far in to reach the binary for the second phase and how much
to load off the drive.
It will copy itself to higher ram, load the phase two image
into Ram address 0
and execute it via a BRANCH 0 instruction. Phase two does
all the real load work.

Anyone know for certain who is printing out the INitial GRUB
message?

The MBR or phase two piece.

If youi know grub internals, then translate this theory into
the reality of GRUB
and see where that leads us (and hopefully not straight into
/dev/null :-} )