>    Well I'm not so sure about that.. whenever GRUB doesn't
>  find it's grub.conf file,
>  it just enters it's CLI mode from where you can do things
>  manually. This is not the
>  problem.
>    I've had the same situation happen to me with LILO,
when I
>  first installed RH,
>  , and one fine day for no reason at all it happened to
GRUB
>  too.. I fixed it with
>  grub-install /dev/hda, but always wondered how could GRUB
be
>  so unstable. This is
>  the kind of problem that happens for no reason at all and
>  will make a regular user
>  lose his mind.. wish I could help more;
>
>  --
>  Herculano de Lima Einloft Neto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I wonder if the real issue in this case is that the ROM Bios
and/or drive
firmware involved here has a bug in it and it is acting
wierd
under certain circumstances and changing the boot time
definitions of what
the drive configuration/access mode/ geometry is on the fly?
Such that the MBR cant find the /boot partition because the
drive address
and/or geometry definition has suddenly changed or something
along that line of
thought??????

Did you check for firmware upgrades for your motherboard and
disk drives
at the time?