Statux, sorry for the long delay of my answer .. different
time zone ...
Statux wrote:

> hmm.. just as a quick note: even though the system will run, you really
> should reboot after upgrading the system C library (glibc in this case
> since virtually EVERYTHING is compiled against it and looks for it in
> order to execute).
>
> it may very well be buggy. It's always good to read things like the
> errata, etc. Was there a reason that you were upgrading lynx (I forget if
> you mentioned one)? touchscreen or whatever you saw might have something
> to do with special monitors that you can touch (just a guess based on the
> name since I've never heard of it.. I could be wrong tho).

Yes, there was a reason for upgrading lynx: https.
the new version I wanted to install is the first I found with this an
https-capability *in itself*. Before -- if I understood it
correctly -- you had to build onto your non-https-capable lynx some
encryption capabilities -- for example I have an SSLeay-RPM mixed with
lynx-2.8.2.-2 on my machine: with this combination lynx has a good
encryption. But I found it a bit uncomfortable in writing my web-based
emails with this lynx version (perhaps having something to do with the
editoring capabilities of this lynx-version...? or with me being too
newbie to set the editoring options of lynx correctly ? ... probably not
too far away, this last possibility ...)

But if I remember correctly it was not only the new lynx-RPM, which
was howling for  libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)   -- there were several other
installs over the last weeks I couldn'd finish because of a lacking
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3) -- again: I hope to remember correctly in this
regard.

So I thought I could do something good in upgrading with
glibc-2.1.3-15.i386.rpm ...

I apologize for not having written down the exact error message where
this "touchscreen" (or whatever the machine said ...was mentioned -- I
simply got panicked when realizing I wasn't able to use the running
consoles after the installs anymore and rushed to uninstall the whole
bunch of new RPM'S ... I really was frightened of standing on the edge of
having killed my complete most-loved   :) GNU/LINUX :)  ...

> I have glib-2.1.3-21 installed (as opposed to -15) and I don't have
> problems. What version of RH are you running again?

RedHat 6.1 -- still the same Kernel (2.2.12-32 on an i586) as shipped
with RedHat6.1, but lots of programs upgraded to their version shipped
with 6.2 ...
Have you heard something that  glib-2.1.3-21   is doing well on
RedHat6.1 ? ... you're making me curious :)

Regards --
and thanks for your help.

Wolfgang

--