> I'm not sure whether I got what you said:
>
> Are you (basically) talking about the idea I had yesterday: simply
> force the upgrade -- despite lynx's complaints on the missing
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3):
> #rpm -Uvh /home/user/lynx-2.8.4-5.i386.rpm
>  error: failed dependencies:
>          libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3) is needed by lynx-2.8.4-5

Upgrade to the latest glibc for 6.x. If you are using packages from 6.2
even though you're using 6.1, then you should have upgraded glibc to
2.1.3-21 or whatever is the latest for 6.2 since both 6.1 and 6.2 use
glibc 2.1.

> Or do you want to say: it shouldn't be a problem to upgrade from
> glibc-2.1.2-11  to  glib-2.1.3-21, because if everything goes well
> with  glibc-2.1.2-11 running together with several minor upgrades to
> RedHat 6.2 programs, it shouldn't be a big problem to upgrade
> to the new  glib-2.1.3-21 ...?

Um.. well it won't be a problem since you're still within the 2.1 branch
(with the exception of anything that breaks because of it which should be
none of the things that RH includes in 6.x so don't worry).

> I think I'll make a little backup for my most important data on the
> machine and then simply try installing glib-2.1.3-21 ...

Fair enough. Remember to reboot afterwards so that everything reloads and
runs against the new library. Also, ignore any errors on shutdown that you
may get... and some errors may force certain things to happen at the next
boot. Don't worry.. that's normal. It'll clear up. I think I had a umount
problem on the shutdown after I upgraded.. but that was the only time. It
had to do with the different library versions that the system had (one in
mem and one from disk).

> And I'll sleep on it ...

Ok.

> For a complete RedHat Upgrade I will probably wait until the first
> version *after* the one that will provide the new Kernel-version  ...
> IIRC the current new Kernel on RedHat 7.0 is still beta or some
> thing like that ...?

kernel 2.4.x is currently in test (beta) stages. It's still considered to
be part of the 2.3.x tree. I found a problem with the 2.4.x
readiness. They included ppp-2.3.11 or something like that but the more
recent tests (if not all of them) require ppp-2.4.0. kernel 2.4.0-test is
funky with how you have to pass more parameters to the kernel at boot
time and how you now have to use a /dev/ppp device (which you must mknod
yourself). Not a big deal.

> It's really not bad what I have on the machine now with RedHat 6.1
> and I will think not only twice, but again and again before leaving
> the current stuff on my machine, not knowing what will be waiting
> for me after a future upgrade to a higher RedHat version ...
> I'm much too lazy to risk running into too much troubles with a
> new RedHat version ...
> I'll simply wait ...

If RH keeps throwing stuff into their distros like kudzu (which was the
first thing I axed after upgrading to 6.2) and doesn't clean up some of
their blatent bugs, I may eventually start using FreeBSD or something :)

-Statux