Statux wrote:

> If you've upgraded to packages that are made for the stock RH6.2, then you
> should have already gotten the latest glibc packages for 6.2 since they're
> built against it. 6.1 and 6.2 both use glibc 2.1. 6.0 does too I
> think. 5.x used glibc 2.0 IIRC. It's not like you'd be changing glibc's
> version too much. 2.1 is still 2.1 as far as the programs that use it are
> concerned. If you were going from 2.0 to 2.1, you'd prolly wanna get the
> compatability packages for glibc as well.

I'm not sure whether I got what you said:

Are you (basically) talking about the idea I had yesterday: simply
force the upgrade -- despite lynx's complaints on the missing
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3):
#rpm -Uvh /home/user/lynx-2.8.4-5.i386.rpm
 error: failed dependencies:
         libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3) is needed by lynx-2.8.4-5

Or do you want to say: it shouldn't be a problem to upgrade from
glibc-2.1.2-11  to  glib-2.1.3-21, because if everything goes well
with  glibc-2.1.2-11 running together with several minor upgrades to
RedHat 6.2 programs, it shouldn't be a big problem to upgrade
to the new  glib-2.1.3-21 ...?

I think I'll make a little backup for my most important data on the
machine and then simply try installing glib-2.1.3-21 ...

And I'll sleep on it ...

> I use 6.2 (7.0 sounds like a POS from what I've heard.. they better have
> EVERYTHING fixed before they release 7.1 or nobody will upgrade).

For a complete RedHat Upgrade I will probably wait until the first
version *after* the one that will provide the new Kernel-version  ...
IIRC the current new Kernel on RedHat 7.0 is still beta or some
thing like that ...?
It's really not bad what I have on the machine now with RedHat 6.1
and I will think not only twice, but again and again before leaving
the current stuff on my machine, not knowing what will be waiting
for me after a future upgrade to a higher RedHat version ...
I'm much too lazy to risk running into too much troubles with a
new RedHat version ...
I'll simply wait ...

Regards --
Wolfgang