Thank You to both of you --

This is where I am now:
_______________________________
$ rpm -q glibc glibc-devel
glibc-2.1.3-21       # new version !!
glibc-devel-2.1.3-21 # dito ...!!
$
_______________________________

I didn't do much on it -- simply made a backup of my most
important data on my box and then went on with
rpm -Fvh glibc...blabla

Yes, Statux, there was a problem the system had when shutting
down for the restart, when it was unable to unmount the root (?)
partition (IIRC) -- but until know --after restart about two hours
after the glibc install -- everything on the system seems to be okay ..
Internet connection works, X does so, I'll wait and see ...

After the  glibc installs I installed the new lynx: the install
itself went smoothly, no error-messages, but when I tried to start
lynx  I got this error message:

$ lynx
lynx: error in loading shared libraries: lynx: undefined symbol:
SLsmg_touch_screen
$

I then deinstalled this new lynx, reinstalled the older version
and was then able to start the old lynx again -- so to me it seems, that
the problems 1 or 2 days ago that I was writing about in this thread
after the glibc-install, were lynx problems, not glibc-related ones ...
I'll wait and see ...

Thomas: thanks for your description on how to install a
SRPM -- seems to be a cool idea, to install this way -- after
having learned a bit more on RPM'S I think I'll try that in the
very next future ...

Again: Thanks to both of you, Statux and Thomas, for your really
extensive help: I don't think, I would have tried to install glibc
again without your patient help ...

Regards --
Wolfgang

--