With reference to Aptana terminal tabs for Rails console, server &
general command line you wrote:

> I find this nearly useless for Rails.  I'd rather use a real terminal
> program (on Mac OS, that means iTerm).

Care to be more specific? A terminal is only as good as the shell you
choose, and how you configure it. Everything else is just "window
dressing" so to speak! :-) What Rails command line related activity
can you perform in iTerm (or any other for that matter) that you can't
in a shell embedded an IDE?

> How recently have you used NetBeans?

Last week! I just found it too big and bloated for Rails needs
compared to Aptana. Those who subscibe to the "an editor is enough"
would rightly say the same about Aptana or any other Rails capable
IDE.

As I made a point of saying at both the beginning and end of my post,
the OP needs to try a few out and see what works for him, but since he
specifically asked about IDEs. Unfortunately as is often the cae with
these subjects, it is already degenerating into a mine is better than
yours, IDE vs. Editor, GUI vs Command Line Editor, VI vs EMACS debate,
even if not yet an outright flamewar...

Matt.