> Your attitude is similar enough to mine, if I understand it correctly,
> that I suspect if you try a good graphical editor like KomodoEdit or
> jEdit, you won't go back to Emacs in GUI situations.

*grin*. Certainly possible. I think I tried KomodoEdit, but that was
long while ago, who knows how I'd feel about it now. Needs change, and
products change as well. :)

> It never ceases to amaze me that people seem to think the only options
> are NetBeans, Eclipse/Aptana, TextMate, vi, and Emacs.  There are *lots*
> of good editors out there...

There are days when it seems like there is as many as there are
programmers. Maybe more. :)

It could be that I keep coming back to Emacs because it seems the most
easily bent to "latest new thing I'm learning or working with" without
relearning the basics. In part because, it has been around a very long
time so there is plenty of tech notes, stuff to download to enhance
it, etc. For instance, last year I was doing some stuff in OCAML, a
brief search turned up Tuareg-mode for editing and executing OCAML
files. :)

I also will switch editors depending which things I'm actually working
on...there was a while that I was juggling two different projects, one
that I wrote code in MSVC for, and the other I was doing stuff in
Emacs. :)

Hmm. I wonder what support NetBeans has for latex. Time for a web search.

Iain