On Wednesday 25 August 2010, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
> >> How recently have you used NetBeans?
> >
> > Last week! I just found it too big and bloated for Rails needs
>
> I agree with that.  I just don't agree that it's slow and clunky in
> general, at least on Mac OS.

This seems like the perfect time to lodge my complaints ;-)

I've been using NetBeans 6.9 for a couple of weeks now and it seems to
be disintegrating over time. At some point it became convinced that I'm
working with Rails 2.x, which I am not, and now tries to run non-
existing script/server. In new files, NetBeans's own templates are not
expanded. I never found a way to make the debugger work with Rails 3 and
bundler. And, worst of all, at times the editor completely freezes for
from 30 secs to over a minute.

For none of these I've found a way to cure it. Particularly the freezing
problem seems already to have been reported as a bug more than 50 times.

Yes, I'm still using NetBeans. The alternatives (on Linux) such as Emacs
and Eclipse/Aptana are no more attractive and I've used them both
before. Although I more or less know Emacs for 20 years, its features
beyond editing are too arcane for me. Aptana, particularly
RadRails/Studio for Rails 3, had still many problems of their own, last
time I looked.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig