Iain Davis wrote:
> This is discussion has been very helpful to me: I'm learning Rails
> (and Ruby), so far I've primarily been using Emacs and command line.
> But I also I had given NetBeans (and a couple of other IDEs) a brief
> try on the off-chance that I was missing out on something that I would
> like to have.
>
> I found that Emacs and shell window works well for the way I work,
> though. :). I'm using EmacsW32+nXhtml (see:
> http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/nXhtml/doc/nxhtml.html#summary) and a
> shell window. :)
>
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 15:55, Marnen Laibow-Koser
> <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>> Because console editors are great for text-only environments, but are
>> less generally usable than GUI editors. �I love Emacs in SSH sessions or
>> for quick edits in the Terminal, but I go nuts very quickly when I have
>> to use it on a GUI box. �There are many things that simply work better
>> with a mouse and a menu-driven interface. �No console-only editor can
>> give me that, and therefore no console-only editor is suitable to use on
>> a GUI box by my standards. �(No, Xemacs is not the answer -- it sucks.)
>
> Interesting. I'm of almost opposite mind:

No, I don't really think you are.  See below.

> I prefer to use emacs on a
> GUI platform; I hop back-and-forth between being in a "keyboard only"
> mode when doing stuff in emacs to "mousing, mouse cut-n-paste, etc."
> mode when I flip to some other window. If I have to use emacs in the
> non-gui environment, I feel locked in, and if it goes on for very
> long, I'll find some way to switch to a gui environment to do the
> work.

Exactly!  I prefer working in a graphical environment as well.  But my
point was that in a graphical environment, it makes more sense to use an
editor that's been *designed* for a graphical environment -- in other
words, not Emacs, but a good GUI editor like KomodoEdit.  I feel locked
in when I use Emacs in a console environment, but there's nothing I can
really do about it.  I feel even more locked in when I use (console)
Emacs in a GUI environment, because I know there are other editors where
I could use the mouse.

Your attitude is similar enough to mine, if I understand it correctly,
that I suspect if you try a good graphical editor like KomodoEdit or
jEdit, you won't go back to Emacs in GUI situations.

It never ceases to amaze me that people seem to think the only options
are NetBeans, Eclipse/Aptana, TextMate, vi, and Emacs.  There are *lots*
of good editors out there...

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser