On Feb 22, 2009, at 1:25 AM, Ondrej Certik wrote:

> It's because sympy, sympycore and pynac were all written by different
> people and as of now they are not compatible. I don't like the
> situation either, and if I manage to find funding for the summer, I'd
> like to speedup sympy using Cython to be as fast as sympycore or pynac
> and also make it working on top of pynac so that it could be used in
> Sage by default.
>
> It needs couple weeks of hard work though, so someone needs to invest
> time to do it.
>
> Do you think this would be a worthwhile project for Sage?

I certainly think this is a worthwhile project. The main hurdles for
replacing Maxima in Sage are integration, DEs, and limits. If you can
get sympy working on top of pynac in Sage that provides a big leg up on
getting Maxima replaced.

The other project I'd like to see is interoperability of symbolics
with polynomials. If I define a polynomial with pynac/Maxima, I'd
like to use the polynomial commands (possibly through a conversion)
and then convert back. I believe you can convert to a polynomial,
but not back.

Cheers,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timlahey