On Feb 23, 2009, at 3:13 AM, Maurizio wrote:

> thank you all guys for these useful responses.
> so, I see that sympy and sympycore and pynac are coming from different
> people.
> But I assume that you have a very wide view of the actual situation,
> and this is a real added value! I mean, getting to know pros and cons
> of each technology is something that comes only from experience, and I
> would be really thankful (like many others, I am sure) if you could
> share us this!
> as I told, the symbench wiki page was really useful to me, because it
> has shown the differences in terms of performances and stability and
> confidence of the different symbolic packages.
>
> Trying to summarize, what I'd like to know (for example in the case of
> symbolic, but that's pretty general) like a normal user is:
> - which is the package with the brightest future (in terms of chance
> to be actively developed)
> - where is each package doing is best?
> - where is each package failing in doing its job?
>
> thank you very much
>
> PS: I still can't find any piece of information about pynac, is there
> anything on the web?

Pynac is based upon Ginac but it has the main drawback that it doesn't
do integration. It's quite new, but it's being improved. Sympy will
continue to have a separate existence aside from Sage since a) it's
BSD licensed so it can be used where Sage can't and b) it can be
used completely independently from Sage. As for sympy vs. sympycore,
it's my understanding that sympycore is an attempt to speed up the
internals of sympy and it may be folded back into sympy at some point
in the future.

There is also an Axiom fork, FriCAS that is an optional package for
Sage.
For some things, it is better than the others.

Cheers,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timlahey