On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> But the Mathematica page is also much more aesthetically pleasing. The
> use of nice colours helps - I'm not convinced using only blue and black
> is a good idea.

IMHO,  the sagemath.org webpage is very nice and lean, but a little
bit too "plain" wrt colors, and a lack of contrast. In addition, the
border  color (around the white box with the actual content) is too
bright, which draws my focus away from the content (my browser window
is 1280 pixels wide).

Maybe changing that to a darker color, together with a judicious use
of a second color tone within the content (maybe matching the border)
would give some more depth/contrast to the page.

Here's a 5 minute hack of something along those lines:
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/tornaria/sagemath.png

Incidentally, that shade of green comes from
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sage_green

> I personally don't find the flash on the Mathematica site irritating
> (unlike some other sites that use flash), but I know it's not to
> everyone's taste.

The fact that a web page *uses* flash is what I find irritating. OTOH,
their home page doesn't obviously look like it's missing anything for
me, so I wouldn't call it irritating at all (I haven't checked how it
looks with flash).

One thing I like is that their web page just fits nicely in my
1280x800 web browser window, although that of course is dependent on
the resolution I'm using (they may be targetting 1024x768 as a
sensible minimum, except for netbooks). But it just seems that
sagemath.org needs 1200 lines to fit in a browser window.

Best, Gonzalo