On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Justin C. Walker <jus...@mac.com> wrote:

> On May 25, 2009, at 04:00 , Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
>
>> BTW, http://sage.milnix.org/ does not appear to be alive. I noticed
>> that
>> a day or so ago, and it is still dead.
>
> I've lost track of where and when milnix.org arose, but it looks like
> the system is awake.  It's just not listening for HTTP (at least on
> port 80).  Could be the server wasn't started?

I've removed the links to milnix.org.  Harald, I did this by directly
editing www2/index.html and www2/inc/header.shtml.  Obviously, this
isn't the right thing to do, since there is no way for me to check in
my changes.  Please add a message that is printed on the login to the
s...@sagemath account that points to a file documenting how to make
changes to the website.

Regarding ideas for improving the site, I'm not afraid of change.  If
this whole discussion ends with "everything is fine now, let's do
nothing", than I'll be disappointed.  I'm sure our site isn't optimal,
and even if it was optimal one year ago when Harald rolled it out,
there is no harm in refreshing it and giving it a new look.

Instead of comparing the site to Mathematica's (which I personally
also do not like, as it also makes me feel very nervous,
uncomfortable, and frustrated), maybe people could point out what
software project web sites they really love.  For example, I really
like the SQLAlchemy homepage: http://www.sqlalchemy.org    It's really
clean, easy to find links to important things quickly, looks good,
etc.

I'm all for a redesign of the Sage website.   I designed the first
version, and I was able to relax and let Harald totally redesign it
when he came along.  I think Harald will consider further redesign in
a similar spirit of continually renewal and reinvigoration.

 -- William