On Nov 23, 4:38 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 8:28 AM, rjf <fate...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > From the proposal
>
> > ... and which has sophisti-
> > cated interfaces to nearly all other mathematics software, including
> > Mathematica, Maple,
> > MATLAB and Magma. ...
>
> > Maxima just gets no respect. :)

At the risk of writing the obvious:
 There are two types of Sage's interfaces to "nearly all other"
software: To software that is distributed with Sage (Gap, Singular,
and, yes, Maxima), and to proprietary CAS. Aparently, the sentence
from the proposal is about the latter. So, I don't think there is
reason for the developers of Gap, Maxima or Singular to be upset.

Gap, Maxima and Singular *are* mentioned in the proposal (I must admit
that I find it a bit odd that the Maxima library is the only one that
is qualified as "venerable", though... :)

However, a concise list of software projects onto which Sage builds
seems missing to me (or perhaps I overlooked it). Perhaps, the phrase
"Already, Sage combines several hundred thousand lines of new code
with over 5 million lines of code from other projects." on the first
page could be extended to something like:

 "Sage provides the capabilities of a wide range of open source
mathematical and non-mathematical software, such as GAP, JMol, Maxima,
Numpy, Pari/GP, R, Scipy, Singular, Tachyon and Twisted, to name just
a few of them. In addition, Sage provides features that were not
available in open source before, based on several hundred thousand
lines of new code."
(Hope that the "not available before" bit is correct...)

Cheers,
Simon