On Nov 23, 3:30 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is true.  In fact, I hope in the proposal to not insult or snub
> non-free commercial software either.

But William, just two days ago on sage-support you wrote:
"Let's put Mathworks out of business."
http://groups.google.com/group/sage-support/browse_thread/thread/b56450bab6d43bf7/a82a770db1abd6dc#msg_d72f94b7ff856c29

So I wonder, what is your true feeling on this matter?

To be clear, I am not attempting to be inflammatory.
I have been genuinely interested in Sage for a couple
years and have used it for real mathematics sporadically.
I could even imagine jumping into Sage development but I
have been *very* put off by the outright hostile stance
frequently expressed towards the commercial systems on
the sage discussion groups.  As I mentioned in my
response on sage-support, The Mathworks has played a
central role in the development of numerical software
(both commercial and free) for many years.  Thus, I
really feel that your desire to "put Mathworks out of
business" is misdirected, particularly in the context
of your current grant proposal.

Mark McClure