Jaap Spies wrote:
> mark mcclure wrote:
>
>> On Nov 23, 3:30 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> That is true.  In fact, I hope in the proposal to not insult or snub
>>> non-free commercial software either.
>>>
>> But William, just two days ago on sage-support you wrote:
>> "Let's put Mathworks out of business."
>> http://groups.google.com/group/sage-support/browse_thread/thread/b56450bab6d43bf7/a82a770db1abd6dc#msg_d72f94b7ff856c29
>>

> Ever heard of the word humor? Even without a smiley this is possible in
> a message.
>
> Jaap

I believe Sage is a very useful piece of software for many people.
But I have had numerous discussions (the last one was at the NSF
workshop in Rhode Island prior to ECCAD) about funding open source
computational mathematics. The definitive statement seems to be:

  "NSF will not fund software development that competes with
   existing commercial software."

I pointed out that nowhere in Axiom's goals was there any sense of
competing with commercial software but that response was unheard.

But given the definitive reply from NSF
I am somewhat surprised that NSF funds Sage at all.