On 08/18/2010 07:13 PM, William Stein wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 4:18 AM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:

>> It would be good to state on the ticket what level of student project
>> this is (undergrad, postgrad), and the skill set needed (C, Python
>> etc). I expect you would prefer it in Python, though I think
>> personally a C implementation like Marks, which you can easily call
>> from Python, would be more beneficial to the scientific community in
>> general - not everyone is using Sage/Python.
>>
>> I know if I were a student, I'd prefer a bit more information on that
>> trac ticket.
>
> Good idea -- I've posted some stuff there.

Would a project to rewrite genus2reduction.c [1] as part of the Sage
library be at a similar level?  Is there a paper(s) on the algorithm?

[1] This is part of the genus2reduction spkg, which does not have the
same build problems as SYMPOW, as far as I'm aware.  The motivation here
would be, perhaps, to get some experience with PARI, Cython, and
(hyper)elliptic curves.  We'd also reduce very slightly our spkg
maintenance burden.