On 08/19/10 01:13 AM, William Stein wrote:
On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 4:18 AM, David Kirkby<david.kir...@onetel.net>  wrote:

This is what should happen.  After somebody implements his algor
in Sage, then
we can (re)move Sympow.  Here's a trac ticket:

It would be good to state on the ticket what level of student project
this is (undergrad, postgrad), and the skill set needed (C, Python
etc). I expect you would prefer it in Python, though I think
personally a C implementation like Marks, which you can easily call
from Python, would be more beneficial to the scientific community in
general - not everyone is using Sage/Python.

I know if I were a student, I'd prefer a bit more information on that
trac ticket.

Good idea -- I've posted some stuff there.

Thank you.

Is there a Sage web page where potential student projects could be
listed? A student is unlikely to find it on a trac ticket? I believe
some Sage projects have been done in collaboration with other
universities - IIRC, there was student at a uni in London who did a
Sage related project.

I think every open ticket on trac (all>2000 of them) has the
potential to be a student project.

I'd have to disagree with that. Many are trivial issues and could not form the basis of a project.

Some, such as fixing bugs in code written by others, are not very attractive to students.

seems a nice self-contained project. A student could get on with it, and not be too relient on others for getting it reviewed. In contrast, if you took a ticket like "Port Sage to the Blackberry", then a student would be very reliant on getting others to review their changes. That would be very frustrating, especially as the deadline for the project approaches, but you can't find reviewers.

However, during the last year when
I've told prospective students: "try to find a trac ticket to work on"
they almost always disappear and never return.

To be honest, I'm amazed any do! There are too many tickets that are unsuitable, so students probably lose interest quite quickly.

 So something more
organized would be of value.  However, who has the time...

It might be sensible to add something on trac to make it easier.

* The keyword "student_project" could be used, but it seems nobody really uses the keywords, so I don't believe that would work.

* Another possibility might be to add to "Milestone" the term "student project". But that might tend to get missed by people. Milestone is normally set to be the next release.

* More work, but probably best, is a tick-box/radio button where tickets that could form the basis of a student project were marked as "potential student project". Then you could give the students a URL which lists all the tickets which could be potential projects. Anyone chosing to mark a ticket as suitable for a student project should be encouraged to provide provide information such as the skill level, relevant references etc.

Dave