I have abstained from the thread but read quite a bit of it and I think
that the idea there are really two issues is correct.

I have been thinking for a while but abstained because there is a lot of
stuff already on the thread and we are at a stage where the signal/noise
is quite low. So anyway since now I started:

We should have a statement of intent on the kind of community we want to
be. This is not a code of conduct this is the aspirations we have as a
community.

François