On Sunday, January 5, 2020 at 2:33:02 PM UTC-8, Timo Kaufmann wrote:

> +1 for dropping python 2.7 compatibility
>
> It is unfortunate that the wiki makes that promise. But it is a community
> wiki, and as such I wouldn't consider it an authorative source. Keeping
> python2 support will be a *lot* of effort, either for the sage project or
> (if it just refuses to deal with this problem and keeps using outdated
> dependencies) for packagers. At the same time, I see little to no benefit
> in keeping it. People who insist on python2 can keep using 9.0 as long as
> they need to. It will continue to work for all the purposes it works for
> now.

I don't think there's a doubt that we'll drop py2.7 support. This Wiki,
however, has been referred to in many places describing the py2/py3
transition. As far as I'm aware this is the only announcement at the moment
that comes close to an official py2/py3 transition plan for sage. If you're
aware of a message elsewhere, we can see how we can unify the two. The
message on the wiki makes a very definite mention that 9.1 will still
support building with python2. I don't consider reneging on that an option.
Breaking definite promises in support makes for *very* bad PR. If there is
a more "official" place to mention the transition strategy, we can put an
announcement there, but given the fact that we've already published the
message on the wiki and pointed at it means that that announcement must be
as least as lenient wrt. py2 as the wiki message.

It's not such a burden for developers anyway: you can just develop for Py3
only. Your work will just be merged in 9.2 at the earliest. If we end up
with loads of 9.2 milestone tickets and no 9.1 ones, releasing 9.1 will be
quite straightforward.