+1 for dropping python 2.7 compatibility

It is unfortunate that the wiki makes that promise. But it is a community
wiki, and as such I wouldn't consider it an authorative source. Keeping
python2 support will be a *lot* of effort, either for the sage project or
(if it just refuses to deal with this problem and keeps using outdated
dependencies) for packagers. At the same time, I see little to no benefit
in keeping it. People who insist on python2 can keep using 9.0 as long as
they need to. It will continue to work for all the purposes it works for
now.