On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 12:06 AM rjf <fate...@gmail.com> wrote:

> just curious when this ends.  Python 4 awaits.

It's already ended.  Python 4 is not going to be the major
backwards-compatibility breaker that Python 3 was.  It's just going to
be the next release after 3.9, at which point we can also hopefully
finally stop talking about "Python 3" and just call it "Python" again.
This is similar to how Jinja2 is called Jinja2 because it was
completely incompatible with Jinja 1.x and so needed a "different
name" as it were.  But now that Jinja2 is long-since the de facto
Jinja, Jinja 3.0 will just be referred to as "Jinja" again; no more
Jinja2.

In the more extreme end of things Perl 6 has finally stopped being
"Perl" altogether and is called Raku now.  Fortunately even Python 3
is not as big a "disaster" from a backwards-incompatibility
perspective that it hasn't necessitated a completely new name for the
language; the "Python 3" distinction has only been relevant in the
context of porting from Python 2 and now that that's mostly done in
most of the community we can finally start to drop it soon...