can you briefly explain how a caucus works? How does it differ from a primary,
and what's the difference in how the Democrats and Republicans do theirs? The
Republican results counted actual votes cast, the Dems just the delegate votes?

From: "B. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
The wife and I caucused for the first time and it was one of the
greatest voting experiences we've ever had. They expected approx. 140-
150 people at our caucus location but close to 300 people attended.
There was a large number of first time voters, independents and even
a few converted Republicans our location. The room was packed and
people began to sort themselves by candidate. Once registration and
sign up was done the fun began.

The candidates' representatives gave their speeches on why you should
choose their candidate. Some were firey, some were cool, but all of
them were true belivers and they and the precinct captains were
actively trying to garner support for their candidate. One hilarious
Dodd captain was an Irish tenor and he strolled around singing trying
to cajole people to come support his candidate.

The wheeling and dealing was the most fun part of the experience. The
Obama contingent was the largest, loudest and best organized. During
the first caucus period some early projections said Obama was winning
the state and the place just erupted.

As the night went on more undecideds and supporters of non-viable
candidates started to drift over to the Obama campaign. Richardson,
Kucinich, Biden and Dodd had asked their supporters to caucus for
Obama if they were not viable in their precincts. Quite a few Dodd
supporters and a few (cause that's all that were there) Kucinich
people followed through. Most of the Richardson and Biden folks went
home. (haters)

We got a final count and Obama handily won our precinct. The room
erupted in cheers and then as we were leaving it was announced that
Obama was projected to win the state and cheers started again. A lot
of folks headed downtown to the victory celebration and the party
continued.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Wow, i thought Edwards would take first place by a percentage point
over Obama, with Hillary in third. I had Huckabee, Romney, and McCain
as 1-2-3, respectively. Looks like Obama pulled off a major upset.
Huckabee might have some real legs, given that he's a real
fundamentalist Christian in some ways, but supportive of
environmental issues, not averse to taxing for the poor, and pretty
well respected by many Blacks--at least in Arkansas. I never could
get with Romney, not because he's a Mormon, but because his positions
have flip-flopped more than anyone in the last few years. Talk about
an opportunistic chamelon.

> Now, how does Hillary proceed, given that liberal/independent New
Hampshire might go for Obama and Edwards again, and ditto for South
Carolina and the southern states? Indeed, let this momentum keep
building and we could be looking at an Obama/Edwards ticket, which
just might win the day, though I still have this nagging doubt that
America as a whole will elect a Black man named Obama....
> But I could be wrong--i certainly was tonight!
>
> ****************************
> http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/03/iowa.caucuses/index.html
>
> With 97 percent of precincts reporting, Obama had the support of 38
percent of voters, compared to 30 percent for John Edwards and 29
percent for Hillary Clinton.
> "The numbers tell us this was a debate between change and
experience, and change won," said CNN political analyst Bill
Schneider.
> Iowa delivered fatal blows to the campaigns of Sen. Chris Dodd of
Connecticut and Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware. Both have decided to
abandon their White House runs.
> Bill Richardson, who finished fourth, said his campaign plans
to "take the fight to New Hampshire."
> For the winners of both party's caucuses, it's an age revolt for
Democrats versus a religious revolt for Republicans, Schneider said.
> On the Democratic side, Obama took 57 percent of the under-30 vote,
according to CNN's analysis of entrance polls.
> Speaking to supporters, Obama called the night a "defining moment
in history."
> "You came together as Democrats, Republicans and independents to
stand up and say that we are one nation, we are one people and our
time for change has come."
> Huckabee's victory can be attributed to his overwhelming support
among evangelical voters and women, the polls indicate.