2009/6/25 Nikhil Mehra <nikhil.mehra...@gmail.com>

> I don't see how the need for a UCC affects a Hindu male. It would be a god
> sent for Muslim women, but a Hindu male pining for the UCC seems like the
> only desire is for a dilution of religious identities.

I didn't know it always had to be about me or the community I belong to.
Obviously this discussion is about the "greater good".

Case in point - most of Europe is moving towards banning the purdah and
hijab.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab_by_country

> Which is a very
> worthy cause, but the BJP's flaw here is to paint all muslims as being
> anti-UCC and therefore by extension having no sense of India as a nation.
> It's always the subtext with the BJP that bothers and it invariably rears
> it's ugly head in some form or the other.

The line is always blurry between majority and all. Quote from the link I
posted earlier.[1]

<Most writings on the subject point to the small number of Muslim
intelligentsia such as Tahir Mahmood who are in favor of either doing away
with the Personal Law or reforming it. However, the vast majority of Muslims
led by the Jumiat
al-Ulama<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jumiat_al-Ulama&action=edit&redlink=1>and
other orthodox Muslim groups have fought tooth and nail against any
change to the Personal Law. Mushir
Ul-Haq<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mushir_Ul-Haq&action=edit&redlink=1>in
his treatise
*Islam in Secular
India<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Islam_in_Secular_India&action=edit&redlink=1>
* identifies three groups, the fundamentalist, Moderate, and Radical. In the
Radical camp are those who would do away with the Personal Law in total, and
replace it with a Uniform Code. Farias describes them as "a very small
minority of Muslims...mostly western trained." In the Modernist camp, we
find men, such as A.A. Fyzee, who believe that Sharia law is malleable and
can be changed, given the consent of the community or ijma. The
Fundamentalists or 'Orthodox', as previously mentioned, rely on the
arguments of Mushir Ul-Huq who argues in *Islam in Secular India* that the
Laws of countries such as Tunisia and Turkey or
Iraq<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq>were "thrust down their throats
by authoritarian rulers" and that "there is
hardly any Muslim country which has so far denied the authority of the
sources of Shariah." >

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_civil_code

The most disturbing fact is that most Muslim countries have moved beyond
age-old Shariah laws, including Pakistan but in India we still rely on a law
formulated in the 1930s. I quote again -

<Those wishing to reform the Muslim Personal Law have often cited Muslim
countries as examples that such reform is possible. Terence
Farias<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Terence_Farias&action=edit&redlink=1>,
in his chapter *The Development of Islamic Law* points out that the 1961
Muslim Family Law Ordinance of Pakistan "makes it obligatory for a man who
desires to take a second wife to obtain a written permission from a
government appointed Arbitration Council." The interesting point regarding
Pakistan is that until 1947 both India and Pakistan had governed Muslims
under the Shariat Act of 1937. However, by 1961 Pakistan, a Muslim country,
had actually reformed its Muslim Law more than India had and this remains
true today. Mushir
Al-Huq<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mushir_Al-Huq&action=edit&redlink=1>and
Tahir
Mahmood <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahir_Mahmood>, both Muslim writers on
Islamic Law in India, have pointed out the reforms meted out in Tunisia and
Turkey where Polygamy was abolished. Iran<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran>,
South Yemen <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Yemen>, and
Singapore<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore>all reformed their
Muslim laws in the 1970s, although Iran appears to have
backslid in this respect. In the end the argument is quite clear. If Muslim
countries can reform Muslim Personal Law, and if western democracies have
fully secular systems, then why are Indian Muslims living under laws passed
in the 1930s?>

Kiran