On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 5:23 AM, Udhay Shankar N <ud...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 09-Sep-11 5:22 AM, Srini RamaKrishnan wrote:
>
>> http://cheeni.posterous.com/whats-the-role-of-consumerism-in-the-modern-w
>>
>> No doubt your eagle eyes will find any logical flaws, but also ask me
>> a bunch of questions, and tell me where I'm wrong.
>
> I, too, have a bunch of mostly uncoooked thoughts on this topic (fuel
> for the next time we meet up) but I'll just toss one of them out to see
> your response:
>
> The "one" in the phrase "tribe of one" is a matter of context (and,
> therefore, so is "tribe"). E.g, a "tribe" can be thought of as a unit in
> some contexts, like in your example of ant colonies [1].
>
> Similarly, an individual human being [2] can be thought of as a
> plurality or a colony consciousness [3] depending on the semantic
> perspective.

None of this really matters. It's turtles all the way down, or rather
up in this case.

Individuals / one / tribe i.e. $unit is always part of a system.
$system is part of a larger system.

Ant -> Ant Colony -> Forest -> Mountain -> Land Mass -> Earth -> Solar
System -> Galaxy -> Collection of Galaxies ...

What's important to ask is what does all of this consciousness
achieve? One can debate about free will - it's existence or lack of
etc. but eventually systems exist.

Escape from the systems is possible by realization. Realization !=
understanding.

Cheeni