If you really want some strange data about oxalic acid, one man claims it is a natural chemotherapy agent and kills cancer cells. It also seems to have a purpose in that oxalic crystals stimulate peristalsis in the intestines. Oxalic acid, as well as other acids, are neutralized in the body by Calcium. That means they use up Calcium and if not enough is present in the blood then the Calcium is pulled out of the bones.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Oxalic-Acid---The-Cure-For-Cancer&id=912295

The cabbage family of dark leafy greens doesn't have as much oxalic acid so eating a lot of kale and collards can provide more Calcium without the oxalic acid of the spinach and beet greens which are in another family.

Meat is another source of acid which uses up Calcium in neutralizing it. Therefore not eating meat makes the body more alkaline, spares Calcium, and makes Omega 3 oils more available to the body. I've experienced healing to my injured knee since becoming vegetarian except for Salmon once a week.

I don't know why fruits should be bad; apples are very good, pineapples, papayas, figs, and kiwis have proteolytic enzymes that can break down proteins, blood clots, and fibrin masking cancer cells from the immune system. Purple fruits have anti-oxidant pigments, many fruits have anti-tumor or other health benefits.

Grains without gluten- buckwheat, quinoa, millet, and rice, seem to help with balancing amino acids with legumes, and are good for energy and fiber.

Nancy