I honestly think the coffee, tea, soda dehydrating thing is a myth. I believe we retain a lot more of the water in those drinks than is peed out from the diuretic effects. It would be an interesting experiment to drink an amount of one of those, and measure urine output for (?) some time afterwards. You'd have to know how long the diuretic effect lasts to make it an accurate experiment though. But I honestly can't tell any significant difference in urinary urging or output whether I drink 16 oz water, 16 oz decaf, or 16 oz cola. With me it is liquid in, liquid out, no matter what the source of the liquid. My personal experience may not be valid to a normal person though, because I am a salt waster, and cannot hold onto either water or salt.
sol

Gayla Roberts wrote:
/I used to have a post on the need for water. Most of the afternoon fatigue people feel is mild dehydration. Many times you will mistake thirst for hunger. You want "something" - what is it> You eat./ /You are thirsty and you drink a soda. That dehydrates you even more. Or coffee - a huge dehydrator./
/Off my soapbox./