Pertaining to humans, and it may work with horses, Vitamin C strengthens the
lung tisssue - all tissues actually.  I had a lung infection from fungus
back in the '70's which bled a cup of highly oxygenated bood periodically
and I used 10 grams of vitamin C to help heal it.  Vitamin E healed the
scarring.  Possible IV Vitamin C??? for the horses.

John