Sure
And how long does it take for silver to visibly tarnish if left exposed to the air?

Months

How long would it take for enough environmental Sulphur to dissolve into a capped jug of distilled water to make any difference?

Uh...won't happen, it's capped.
Uncapped, try a few years.

Ode

At 10:35 PM 9/14/2011 -0400, you wrote:
  Update to complete the reply to my previous post.

  > Ode Coyote <odecoy...@windstream.net> wrote:

  [...]

  >> I don't know why sulphur would be a problem unless you  live down
  >> wind of a coal power plant or something and leave  your distilled
  >> water, or electrodes open to the air for a long time.

  >> The black  stuff  that forms on electrodes is  silver  oxide, not
  >> sulphur oxides "tarnish".

  >> There is  no  need  to do anything but  wipe  it  off  and switch
  >> electrode positions to change the polarity now and then.

  >>Ode

  1. As I described, sulfur is everywhere. if you own a car,  you burn
  gasoline. That releases a great deal of sulfur into the air.  If you
  have a  car, you are near a road. Other cars drive on  that road,and
  they release sulfur into the atmosphere. You will experience tarnish
  on your silver electrodes. It is unavoidable.

  2. As  I described, you probably find your kitchen sink  smells from
  time to  time.  This releases sulfur into the  air.  I  recommend to
  clean it often.

  3. If  you  have a car, you have a lead-acid  battery.  The  acid is
  sulfuric acid. This releases sulfur into the home. If you place your
  nose near the battery and sniff - that's what sulfur smells like.

  4. Sulfur   tarnishes   silver   readily.   It   is  inescapable and
  unavoidable. It can severely disrupt the brewing process,  and cause
  a significant  reduction in the conductance of the  solution  in the
  first 48 hours after the brew.

  5. Silver sulfide is yellow, not black. See

"http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d6/StirlingSilverForks.jpg/252px-StirlingSilverForks.jpg";

  6. Silver sulfide is not an oxide. I gave the equation in my post:

  2Ag + H2S --> Ag2S + H2(g)

  7. Reversing  the polarity does not eliminate the sulfur.  It merely
  moves it  from  the  cathode to the anode, and  leaves  some  in the
  solution. This is what disrupts the brewing process and  reduces the
  conductance after the brew is finished.

  8. Performing  the  desulfurizing process  I  described  reduces the
  conductance loss from 40%to 60% down to less than 12%.

  9. Wiping the electrodes has no effect on the tarnish, and  does not
  affect the drop in conductance.

  10. Wiping  the  electrodes is a very bad  habit  and  contributes to
  further contamination from the tissue and from your fingers.

  For example,  if  you look at the electrodes very  carefully  in the
  right angle,  you  will  see fragments of the  tissue  stuck  to the
  electrodes. This  contains  chemicals from the  paper  process, that
  contaminate the dw. So wiping contributes to the loss in  silver ion
  concentration.

  11. Since  the  SilverCell   process   does  not  produce  any silver
  hydroxide, there  is no need to wipe the electrodes.  You  no longer
  suffer the loss in silver ion concentration due to contamination.

  The myths,  misunderstandings  and  miscomprehension  of  the silver
  process have  severely diminished the capability  of  this wonderful
  metal.

  I have, by a simple change to the process, increased the  silver ion
  concentration by  about a factor of ten, from less than  5%  to over
  44%.

  I have  shown  how to reduce the drop in conductance  due  to sulfur
  contamination from 40% to 60% to less than 12%.

  I have shown how to eliminate the leaching of plain glass containers
  by changing  to borosilicate. These are readily  available  all over
  the world, and are called beakers. They are very inexpensive.

  These are very significant improvements.

  This is from studying the process carefully, and finding out  how it
  actually works. Then by finding what it needs to improve  the entire
  process, and by continually reviewing the results and improving them
  again.

  You can see the results on my forum at

  These advantages are not available anywhere else on the web.

  I will post a copy of these discussion to my forum.

  Thanks,

  Mike Monett
  SilveCentral

Archives: