"Dean T. Miller" wrote:

> Hi Marshall,
>
> >I am
> >pretty sure the Beck unit also limits to 10 Ma, so it would in effect have
> >the
> >same voltage as the Clark unit when attached.
>
> I wish that were true, but it's not.  The beck unit (the DC blood
> electrifier) uses 30 to 35 volts across the electrodes -- WHEN
> ATTACHED!  That's probably okay because the current should still be
> under 1 mA -- but it's close to the limit.

I just checked with a manufacturer of the Beck device and their web page says
that
the device puts out 27 volts and is current limited to 100 microamps into the
body
resistance of approximately 2000 ohms. That works out to a voltage of .2 volts
across the electrodes.  Since the Beck device uses electrodes smaller than I use
with Clark unit, the resistance sounds just about right.

The Beck patent at
http://patent.womplex.ibm.com/details?&pn=US05139684__&s_detd=1#detd says:

 "Recent experiments have proven that exposure to electric fields induced by
supply
voltages of 2-4 volts produces electric current flow through blood of the order
of
1 to 100 microamperes. "

So Beck's patent says that they are only getting 2 to 4 volts for their 100
microamps.  With the smaller electrodes that fits right in with my measurements
with the zapper.

So with the Beck you get .1 mA at 2 to 4 volts and with the Clark you get 5 mA
at 2
to 4 volts.  It appears to me that the Clark unit is putting out more than the
Beck
unit, not the other way around.  Starting voltage is irrelevent when you current
limit, what is important is the voltage and current when fully loaded.

27 Volts without a current limit would be deadly. I have heard of people getting
killed off a 12 volt car battery since the body provides a remarkably low
resistance when wet or sweaty.

I still say that the Clark Zapper and Beck units both work.

Marshall