Evening Mike,

Darn, I was sleeping good until I had a dream about measuring and weighing silver wire.

I know you need to know the diameter of the wire she is using.  And the length.

Still these measurements will allow weight calculation. I think you want to know the weight of a .001 layer of the diameter. Of course the next .001 layer will be reduced in weight, and continue likewise.
( another volume calculation )

Unless you can weigh the exact wire she is using, my Volume Weights will be as good a standard as you can get, unless you create one.

Here's an idea:
Can you or anyone you know use a pair of machinist's calipers or a
micrometer to measure the diameter of your wire electrodes for us?

   I measured a piece of wire a number of places, and a number of times.

The diameter is  .063 inch.    ( same as the alum in my boat )
Pressure applied to the caliper can change this from  .6250 to .6350
The silver is relatively soft may be the reason.

Now the weight.    My gain scale was already on the table.

A piece 1.0 inch long weighs 8.8 grains. While my scale shows .1 grain increments, I can see half that or even better
The piece shows 1.0000  inches.

The one inch piece was measured very accurately, however the cut causes an angle from edge to center. I can't easily avoid that.

To see how this compares, a six inch piece weighs.
The 6 inch piece, measured with a ruler, even though the caliper goes to 6 inches, weighs 50.5 grains.

The scale is a Lyman Ohaus and has been checked for accuracy many times. I always trust it for the purpose it was purchased and used over the years.

Likely the angle of the cut makes this slight difference. I guess I could have somehow, made a square cut. I don't normally do laboratory work, just utility grade machine stuff.

The calipers are Starrett  721.   I think it only measures 5  10/1000
not one 10/1000   but the 4 decimals look good anyway.

With a good measurement, accurate to the nearest thousanth of an inch
or so, we could calculate the approximate weight of silver that has
gone into your water.

   This may be beneficial to everyone once we establish this.
Heck, I bet some of the techo-freaks know this already.

I bet Brooks already has a chart.

If you also know the number of batches you've
made or the number of gallons of water you've used, we'd have a back-of-
the-envelope figure for the average concentration you've been
producing.
You make it sound simple. Now we have made all the PPM meters obsolete, since they were never right anyway.

  What else do I need to do?

  Weight per volume

Volume ( Weight ) in a .001 layer after some cross sectional areas are calculated.

I use a short cut constant, in electrical wire calculations ( cross sectional area ) of .7854 that I came up with years ago. It might not be best for these small numbers.

The silver wire I have is .9999 from a reliably silver supplier. I have purchased 200 feet of it since I started make silver. Likely I have less than 50 feet left. Can't remember where I got it but I was impressed by the company long ago.

.1 grain = 6.5 mg   (  6.479892  mg  actual  )
1.0 grain = 65 mg   (  64.79892  mg actual  )

If you were going to do a lot this, I could toss together a program to do all the math. <grin> Likely it could be programmed into an HP-15C

Wayne