Two years ago I got tripped by my dog and fell on my face on the tile kitchen
floor.  It tore the retina in one eye and the bleeding caused floaters.  The
doctor tacked the retina back in place with laser surgery (no big deal, right
then in the office).  The doctor said normally those floaters would be gone
within a few months, but I still have them.  He said they can be removed
surgically, and I said I can live with them and he said that was a wise choice.

Yesterday in my other eye, I noticed a new streak of grey floating around.  I'd
seen some flashes of light the night before.  I just called the doctor, and he
said the flashes mean the retina is being tickled and that as the vitreous
humor is moving away from the retina, it could cause a tear.  He said I should
be seen this week.  Also, if a black curtain covers part of the vision, to be
seen immediately.  So, if you ever see flashes of light, call the doctor right
away (unless you know they're caused by a migraine).

I read this on the web:

What Causes Eye Floaters and Spots?

For most people, floaters occur as they grow older. The vitreous humor
thickens and clumps as we age, and floaters result from the clumped vitreous
gel.
Sometimes pregnant women see spots caused by little bits of protein trapped
within the eye. Eye injury or breakdown of the vitreous humor may
also cause spots and floaters.

When people reach middle age, the vitreous gel may start to thicken
or shrink, forming clumps or strands inside the eye. The vitreous gel pulls
away from the back wall of the eye, causing a posterior vitreous detachment.
It is a common cause of floaters, and it is more common for people who:

are nearsighted;have undergone cataract operations;have had YAG laser surgery
of the eye;have had inflammation inside the eye.

Treatment for Spots and Floaters

Most spots and eye floaters are merely annoying but harmless
when they temporarily enter the field of vision, and many fade over time.
People sometimes are interested in surgery to remove floaters, but doctors
are willing to perform such surgery only in rare instances.

If you suddenly see new floaters, or eye floaters accompanied by
flashes of light or peripheral vision loss, it could indicate serious
conditions
such as diabetic retinopathy; vascular abnormalities such as retinal
hemorrhages
or carotid artery disease, or the beginning of a retinal detachment.
The retina can tear if the shrinking vitreous gel pulls away from the wall of
the eye.
This sometimes causes a small amount of bleeding in the eye that may appear as
new floaters. You should see your eye doctor
immediately.

http://mail.yahoo.com