BillK wrote:
On 6/7/07, Charles D Hixson wrote:
I believe that he said exactly as you quoted it.  And I also believe
that he gets mad if you quote him as saying "640K ought to be enough for
anyone."  However, I also remember him having been quoted as saying that
in the popular technical press...and him not, at that time, denying it.

The question, I guess, is how much do you trust the honesty of Bill
Gates.  I don't trust it at all.  His denying it doesn't convince me at
all.  It could be true, but believing it depends on believing his
honesty over that of a sensationalist reporter...and I don't.

Yes, it is too good a quote not to keep repeating it!  :)
Like many other fictitious quotes applied to famous people.

But the trouble is that it is almost impossible to prove a negative.
Can you prove that a UFO has never *ever* abducted anyone?

If a quote is true, you have to be able to cite where and when it was
first said or published.

The best I can come up with is the reference I quoted.
I think it is quite likely that one or more reporters interpreted this
comment to produce the disputed quote when writing an article. We
would say something very similar if we were asked by a friend what
processor they should have in their new pc. "Oh, a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
should be enough for anyone". Not meaning that 2.4GHz should be enough
for eternity, but 'enough' at the time of asking.

BillK
Yes. That's quite plausible. But he doesn't say "I was taken out of context", he says (paraphrased) "I didn't say that. " This is possible, and if he didn't deny it I'd rate the plausibility at 50%. Since he denies it I rate the plausibility higher. (That's how much I trust Bill Gates.) If he had said "I was taken out of context", that's so likely that I'd continue to believe it even though Bill G. asserted it.