At 03:04 PM 1/24/2008, Gudrun wrote:

and N. Vita-More
" Using the term "Social-Darwinism" is inaccurate because it poisons the well of your readership by implying that it is a desire for those who are more fit than others to dominate. This term makes a socio-economic/political inference, rather than explaining why extropians want to self-improve. One of the most important characteristics of extropians is the desire to see ALL humanity improve, NOT a select few who can "afford" it. "

This is confusing. Fine that extropians want to self-improve. That ALL humanity should improve, is quite questionable. Does all humanity want to improve (immortality, happy pills, ...)?

Good point. Thank you for catching this and questioning it. You are correct that not ALL humanity should improve if they do not want to improve. That is why I support human rights to augment. I have written and lectured on this quite a bit. Since we are both located within the arts (you find art and me technology design) we ought to discuss this openly and review each other's papers.

Can all humanity afford this improvement?

Within what time frame? Now, no - I cannot afford it. Tomorrow, next year, next decade? Most likely next decade.

Isn't this a bit like many ideologies or religions that envisage a better world with their rules and discoveries?

No it is not. Religious visions are based on prayer. Transhumanist visions are based on technological and scientific probability.

What place do humans have in this scenario who do not want to improve ?

That is an individual choice. We see it today with people who cannot hear who do not want to hear and resent being told they need to hear.

What are their rights?

Their rights are their choice. If they do not want to hear, that is their choice.

Will extropians become an elite who rules all the others who are not part of this enlightened scenario. Even if ruling is seen as an unwanted process.

We do not live in the Roman times wherein a Caesar's' tyrannical rule exists. Extropy and tyranny is an oxymoron. If you read the principles of extropy you will see that critical thinking is fundamental to the reasonableness or rationality of transhumanits.

How does the baptism work? Brainwashing, force-feeding, consumer promise, gentle persuasion, religiously inspired promises?

Now you are being either silly or snide and that does not further discussion.

Immortality. Is immortality really so wonderful?

I'm not sure. Not in this body, nor. By the way, Extropy support extreme life extension, indefinite lifespan or superlongevity.

I was thinking about Fosca in one of Simone de Beauvoir's novels. He is immortal and lonely. He is one of few, if not the only one. Could there be something like the BURDEN of immortality.

Of course and if you read over the many papers, books, etc. of extropy you will see that this theme has been discussed at length. Superlongevity does not mean that a person is forced to live forever. For goodness sakes.

If all can share immortality, then reproduction is not necessary or even unwanted (over-population).Or it is permitted for a few chosen ones.

Again, please read about these ideas before making assumptions about issues that have been discussed for many, many years.

Or we multiply (in the biblical sense) and spread into outer space with all our immortality? What about people from other sects/ideologies/belief-systems who do not want to become immortal other if then within their religious concepts of immortality of souls, etc. Trans(post)humanism as materialised afterlife?

Moravec is interesting because he seems to propose and predict the extinction of the human species. A form of 'extendec' suicide? A form of self-hatred? A form of omnipotent delusion?

Not necessarily.

I also thought that Goertzel's texts were informative and good.

Yes I agree. Just a bit anti-extropian, but he is a fabulous person and I think his views are important and I value his ideas.

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
PhD Candidate, Planetary Collegium - University of Plymouth - Faculty of Technology
School of Computing, Communications and Electronics
Centre for Advanced Inquiry in the Interactive Arts

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller