I would use the free analog line for a PSTN failover, e911, and FAX line and then get SIP trunks for the main business lines. Fax doesn't work well over VOIP. Does the TWBC phone line work even if the power goes out?

This also seems like a good solution for Freeswitch via the Bluebox distro. See http://www.2600hz.org/downloads/. You would buy a 2FXO/2FXS PCI card from Sangoma and put it into the server. Then connect analog phones to the 2 FXS ports and set up a ring group to ring both phones when either of the FXO trunks ring. I've never used Bluebox, but I've used Trixbox which uses the FreePBX GUI, and the GUI is excellent. Bluebox would be an improvement over Trixbox since its not using Asterisk as the back-end.

If they want to save even more money, they could still switch to SIP trunking and use either the Bluebox or sipXecs. For only 2 phone lines and 2 internal extensions, it's a toss-up. I've got a Trixbox server at my home running on a Pentium4 2.66GHz w/ 512MB RAM, and it's run just fine for 3 years (after the initial bug workarounds), so the server doesn't have to be as powerful as you'd need for sipXecs.
Thanks,

Tim Ingalls
Shared Communications, Inc.
801-618-2102 Office

Philippe Laurent wrote:
Folks -

Of all the knowledgeable goodness on this list, I know that someone can point me in the right direction for this project.

Client: Local Humane Society

Case: Time Warner cable (TWBC) offering a promo for one free line with the purchase of broadband. With this deal, and the need to have one more line (at $43/month), cost of $22/line. Termination is analog.

Problem: We want both numbers to ring when someone calls, as if the lines were bridged, and we want to be able to use both lines for both inbound and outbound calls. Apparently TWBC cannot bridge the lines.

Solution? Non-profit, so not a great deal to spend. My work is free.
1. Deal with it. (Not a great solution).
2. Get a Patton or Audiocodes FXO (2) interface device ($) and connect an instance of sipX to it. Provision with something like the wireless IP Quickphone.
3. Get a Patton or Audiocodes FXO (2) /FXS (2) interface device, connect the FXO to sipX, and the FXS to regular analog phones.
4. Abandon the TWBC deal and instead go for a pure play voip.ms solution over their broadband, using wireless and wired IP phones.
5. Other?

Any brief input would be most appreciated.

Philippe