You know I used to be a very active member of the trixbox community and when I
finally decided to leave it (about 3 months ago) I hadn't seen a developer post
in a really long time.

It really is up to your preference what kind of open source PBX you decide to
start with. If you're familiar with Asterisk and would like a GUI on top of it
that can manage most of the operations of the system and you don't need a
redundant system or complete phone provisioning, then a FreePBX system such as
trixbox or Elastix is probably what you should use.

If you want a system that has seamless integration of all components in a clean
UI and need some level of redundancy then sipX is more logical.

If you want a system where the documentation is maintained by 1 or more paid
professional technical writers and if you find it all "too hard to learn"
contact a VAR to install a Cisco CallManager system.

NO system is without gotchas and bugs. sipX moves at a very fast pace and is a
very complex piece of software so there will always be bugs or workarounds and
the documentation doesn't always keep up with changes to the system. The
fortunate thing about this project is that the developers are almost always
watching this list and if you've done your due diligence to craft a mailing
list post that details the problem you're having with information that can help
the developers, such as a snapshot, then there is usually a fix available or
something that can be done to work around your problem, and if not you can file
a bug report in the tracker that details the problem so the developers can work
on it.

Or, if you're feeling adventurous you could help straighten out the
documentation by requesting rights to modify the wiki or even help with the
development of the project to help it suit your needs. Get involved in the
project and contribute what you can, when you can and you'll find that you'll
become a lot more familiar with sipX and understand why the system is designed
the way it is.

In the world of open source software that costs nothing to download and use,
filing complaints gets nothing accomplished and serves no other purpose than to
discourage and enrage those that do contribute. Making constructive suggestions
and feature requests (which you did do to a small degree) goes a lot further.
Actually helping make those suggestions and feature requests a reality by
contributing to the project is what open source is all about.