Michael Scheidell wrote:
On 3/30/11 11:27 AM, Tim Ingalls wrote:
Bluebox would be an improvement over Trixbox since its not using Asterisk as the back-end.
except BB is not freepbx+

I'm not sure what you mean. FreePBX is a front-end for Asterisk. When they started to make FreePBX  4.0, they did it only for FreeSwitch, and they renamed that project to Bluebox. So it's pretty much FreePBX for Freeswitch.

instead of a user friendly gui (BB) for a phone system/pbx, its a GUI to help you edit freeswitch xml files ..
there is a difference.

I'm not really seeing what the difference is. I found FreePBX an easier GUI than sipXconfig. The Bluebox GUI doesn't look that different. I had Trixbox set up in a week, but I'm still finding inconsistencies and glitches with sipX that cause me problems 4 months into it. The sipX project has poor documentation on the wiki that conflicts with itself in several places, is out of date, or is incomplete. Supposedly the sipX book is the best way to learn the system, but from my reading, it seems out of date and limited in the details of how to set things up. The Web site has false statements about the features sipX has (i.e., how redundant is HA mode, the fact that media does in fact use the server in sipXbridge, etc.)

I'm not trying to be a sipX hater, but it's definitely not an easy system to learn and install if you are a newbie to the project. There seem to be surprises around every corner. There is so much you don't understand if you're new to sipXecs that you won't find out until you wade through 6+ months of sipx-user discussion list posts for the most common issues.

I don't really see sipXecs as the best server for a small business to use. It's too hard to learn and get right. Maybe if the learning curve were less steep and the main bugs and limitations were communicated up front better, someone getting involved in the project wouldn't get so frustrated. Some instructional videos and tutorials would go a long way. Having a real user forum (instead of a mailing list that also gets posted to the Web) that is monitored by a commercial entity (like Trixbox is) would also have a big impact, because it would be easier for newbies to ask questions and search for answers.

support is only via IRC (if the single developer is on)

good support when you get him, but unless you are a freeswitch expert, don't try it.

I haven't actually installed Bluebox (I'm doing it today), so I'll have to trust you on the support issues.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
> | SECNAP Network Security Corporation
  • Best Intrusion Prevention Product, Networks Product Guide
  • Certified SNORT Integrator
  • Hot Company Award, World Executive Alliance
  • Best in Email Security, 2010 Network Products Guide
  • King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine

This email has been scanned and certified safe by SpammerTrap®.