We do live referencing here as we don't have much for versioning control at
this small studio.  Its worked fine for us so far as our rigs are pretty
simple and eventually development stops for them on a project.

Eventually we might do versioned referencing but it would require some
asset tracking tools that we just don't have. We also don't have enough
coordinators to keep track of what shot gets what rig, or the development
man power to update our pipeline.

Tiny shop in Singapore, very difficult to find talented developers.

Until then I've written a bunch of delta cleaning scripts that can solve
90% of our issues, and what was most important for us, was that we are very
careful about how we import referenced models so that
no unnecessary information gets written to the delta.  So if a rig change
does happen, the delta wont freak out and break the rig.

Basically via scripting,  I create an empty referenced model, populate the
paths for the rig resolutions, add an empty delta, set the proper settings,
disabling the evil ones, and then finally setting the active resolution.  I
have found this technique to be absolutely essential to making sure our
deltas don't store any extra nonsense in them that would eventually clash
with a rig change.

Otherwise if the animator simply did a vanilla "import referenced model"
 this referenced model would have a delta on it thats fully enabled, and it
would immediately store a bunch of useless crap under stored
expressions/stored positions that would eventually cause the rig to explode
when we did the next rig update.

Aside from that, when something bad happens, I run one of 3 delta cleaners
if necessary, but to be honest it hasnt happened much in a very long time.

I am very open minded, but i also know the animators at this company very
well. If I gave them a local model pipeline they would bring this studio to
its knees and I would be out of a job very quickly