The problems are simple:
A) The patent is retardedly generic and its acceptance is questionable, but
what is done is done.

B) It was NOT the brilliant intuition that nobody had before it was claimed
to be, prior work too close for comfort existed, but it was a different
time and nobody else ran for it (you didn't even have internet logs for
patent checking, back then you had to go peruse their library on a regular
basis, and some patents would take months to transition between offices and
stuff came in in tidal waves).

C) Joe is a software patent advocate, and despite claim to the countrary an
avid patent filer. He is EXACTLY a patent troll, which is why he puts the
OSS community down and ridicules the term. That is also the behaviour of
the corporations he so valorously fights against in his mind.
The irony is at such critical levels of density it's amazing the entire
state he resides in hasn't collapsed on itself in a black hole.

D) He enforces it indiscriminately, it's extremely questionable whether
Disney infringed, and Peregrine shouldn't even have been contacted, they
were on third tier grounds (they did NOT infringe, but they derived from
SeExpr by Disney that was, at the time, connected indirectly (due to xGen)
to a lawsuit. He IS patent trolling, don't buy into his campaign presenting
himself as the little man against the evil corps, he's not. He might be
little in terms of income, but he sure isn't a poor slighted soul fighting
tooth and nail for his life.

E) You heard one side of the story, and you are assuming all of it is true
and unbiased.
Colin has decided not to say more, Joe keeps going around digging his own
grave by insulting people 360 degrees.

F) The software patents world is an American thing tied to a rotten,
outdated system that gets in the way of progress and informatic freedom
everywhere else.
Nobody except a few selected individuals and an even smaller number of
large corporations benefits from them. Whenever someone goes so far out of
his way to diminish and piss all over communities like the OSS one (because
all they do is copy stuff, right? Linux, GrID, Alembic, PartIO, OpenSL,
Apache, CPython, OpenVDB, OpenSubD... all highly derivative shit, right?)
and then proceeds to paint himself as a victim of evil corporations
(because Disney, with ILM, and Pixar underneath didn't release a shitton of
original software and papers for free), what does he expect to be seen as
if not as a gigantic internet tough guy prick?

I'm not saying he is one, but he sure works hard to paint himself as one.
Why shouldn't people be equally prickly in response? It's only in the
natural order of the internets that people anabashedly take the piss or
attack him, he does the same routinely and aggresively.

Enough to figure it out now? :)