To really recreate something close to ICE in Maya would mean a HUGE change
to the way Maya works internally.
Something I never see Autodesk doing.

EVER.

They still have never solv ed the problem of a plugin mysteriously not
willy-nilly. Even Mental Ray doesn't show up as a renderer like 20% of the
time.

This isn't isolated, in every place I have worked, in every installation I
have done of Maya, for the entire
17 or so years I have used Maya, this is STILL a problem.

For God sake, they can't get their shit together to reliably load a plugin!

How they will ever recreate anything close to ICE is beyond me. No,
actually, it is impossible.
They don't have the attention to detail and customer driven awareness for
user experience to ever do
anything like ICE.

Maya is a feature graveyard. Every time there is a shiny new way to do
something, they leave the last 2 or 3 ways inside
Maya as dead ends, and they often never can communicate with newer parts of
Maya.

Here is one more problem:

Every time a new version of Maya comes out, EVERY plugin has to be
re-compiled.
EVERY ONE. If it isn't, it won't work in a new version of Maya.

How the hell will they ever get out of their own way?

--

Perry Harovas
203-448-7206

http://www.TheAfterImage.com <http://www.theafterimage.com/>