You already have most of what is possible in ice in Maya, it's called
splice for Fabric. The only thing missing are some primitives and the
visual programming paradigm and GUI,  performance and portability are
mostly better already.

Honestly, I don't know why people keep  mentioning things such as she of
vote or rewrites and the such. XSI wasn't rewritten to get ICE with its
current considerable set of limitations (some of which aren't present in
splice on Maya), but everybody wants so badly for Maya to be called older,
when in actuality it's clunkier, horribly fragmented, but arguably a lot
younger and more modern than Soft at this point.

People have a perception of modernity based on their interaction with a mix
of look, slickness and use experience, and then think and wasn't too the
mythical "core" of the app to be equally modern or ancient based on how it
feels, but the two things are seldom related.

And on the same note, of Maya will get ICE, it still won't be Soft ;)
What Chris mentioned with H Maya, if it will ever get anywhere, would be a
lot more important than "rewriting the core".

Modern software development and software modernisation don't work the way
most people seem to perceive it.