Well, to begin with, I don't think Softimage was killed off due to Autodesk
feeling Maya was superior. It's more about marketshare than quality here.

Second, most Maya users are not accustomed to using ICE, and therefore simply
have no idea what they are missing. Bifrost will be better than what they now
have, and that will be perceived by the larger community of Maya users as
progress — regardless of how it stacks up next to ICE.

IMO, Autodesk has painted itself into a corner, casting their entire lot with
old bloated code. If Maya is to compete with more modern solutions it will need
a rewrite, and that takes time and resources. Where will Houdini be by the time
Maya is brought up to speed? Hell, where will apps like MODO and Cinema 4D be
by then? They may not ever be what Softimage is to this community, but they may
be attractive alternatives to Maya, which comes with an Autodesk  relationship.

Anyway, I think you are asking about these things from a certain logical
perspective. My point is that your particular perspective/assumptions, however
logical, are probably not the concerns that are driving this EOL issue or the
development of Maya.

Michael Clarke Design
Blue C Studios
713-927-9835