From: Jonah Friedman
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2014 3:57 PM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: ICE in Maya is it really possible?

To make matters worse for the Bifrost-replacing-ice idea-

Bifrost, at the moment, is fluid simulation. Hell, Bifrost hasn't even been
proven to be good at fluid simulation yet, although I have no doubt it
eventually can be. But as for Bifrost-the-ICE-replacement, it's not even at the
level of vaporware. It hasn't been officially promised, just vaguely hinted at.
Once Bifrost actually succeeds at its current purpose- fluid simulation- then
we can talk about what it might take to rebuild ICE based on it.

I'm imagining one possible future a couple years down the line everyone is
happy that Maya finally solved their fluid simulation problem which is
apparently holding Maya back, and team Bifrost turns their attention to
replacing ICE. At this point, they're several years away from making something
as good as ICE and we can start having this conversation in earnest. This is a
best case scenario.

There's another possible future where where it turns out people are using
Houdini and/or Realflow for their fluid simulation needs, and nobody cares very
much about having one directly in Maya, even if it's awesome, and Bifrost is
deemed yet another misguided direction Maya was taken in by AD. And in this
future, no matter how good the technical underpinnings of bifrost are, and ICE
is a distant memory and Bifrost is just more abandonware in Maya.

So yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath for an ice replacement from Autodesk.