I dunno about everyone else, but I actually really like PyCharm a lot these days (went from NPP to Sublime to PyCharm). Being able to debug Python scripts is super helpful in Maya/XSI :) (haven't gotten around to trying to connect it with Nuke as well yet hehe)

I don't really like PyMEL that much, I only use it when I need quick access to vector math functions etc....Now that I'm more familiar with C++, I have to say the advice of everyone here to go ahead and 'do it in C++' from the get-go is a lot less painful overall than dealing with all the SWIG-stuff that I would have to go through when using PyMEL or OpenMaya. :D