Its fair to say that I'm very critical of a lot of Maya's UI. The Hotbox
however in the early days was quite a novel idea. One must understand that in
1998 Maya was not as massive a program it is today. So in some ways the Hotbox,
something that was quite easy to use in the beginning, became quite complex
after a decade of new features.

Why the Hotbox? Well its simple. In Maya you can turn off practically every
viewport, menu bar, shelf, menus, dialog etc until you have nothing but a
single blank viewport of your choice and you could still operate the software
through the Hotbox. It's a novel idea actually, one that at the time reminded
of the early days of 3D when we had menu monitors and the viewports were clean
of menus. It struck me that poly or NURBS modelers might find this approach
useful. Single mode task for example that required large screen real estate. I
used it this way for NURBS occasionally and liked it.

Problem is that with every new feature, every new module, Artisan, then
PaintFX, Cloth, Fluids,  etc the Hotbox kept getting bigger and less pleasant
to use. I slowly stopped using it altogether at some point in the early 2000s.
While i certainly understand someone having the first impression about the
Hotbox that they do today, some historical context is useful however. Time has
not been kind to the idea. One that had great promise. But with a lot of other
things that AW did back then, they would have these moments of UI inspiration
then just totally stop thinking about the UI and spend all their time on
improving or adding new core features. In doing so the Hotbox eventually grew
into something quite unlike its original appearnce and intent.

If the user had been able to create custom contexts for tbe Hotbox, that is
custom Hotbox layouts that only included what the user wanted it it, for things
relevant only NURBS modeling for example, it may have been more useful. Problem
is, the Hotbox theory appeared to be predicated on everything being in the same
place so the user could use it gesturally without having to read the menus
similar to marking menus. Don't know if they ever managed to implement hotbox
contexts. At some point about 2005 I switched back to SI and didnt give it much
thought after that.

Joey