Sure. If youre willing to write your own UI or mod every .mel driving the
interface, yes thats possible. Been possible since v1.0. AW made a huge frikkin
deal about that back in 97. Thats not the point. I'll never forget in 98 there
was no invert component selection. What was AW's response to that? Script it,
and throw it on the shelf. Not everybody can do that, has the time to do that
or experience. Besides its a basic thing that should have been there. Was i
customizing the interface by writing my own inverse selection tool, sure. But i
should not have had to do that.Thats been the issue since Maya was conceived.

 If somebody wanted to make the perfect UI for Maya they could do that if they
had the time money and ability. The whole things been rewritten in QT but its
practically the same thing as the native Maya UI that preceded it. Whats up
with that?

The developers back in te day produced a fairly reasonable next gen UI for Maya
by 97. Using TAV, Power Animator, 3Design and its greatest competitor Softimage
3D as benchmarks, the interface was light years ahead in many ways. Even I will
admit it was easier to use than SI3D. Multi selection anyone? Then they
completely dropped the ball and failed to follow through. What we have today
out of the box is an 18 year old GUI.

I frankly could care less if it is customizable if it was designed with the
user as an artist in mind. I'm not opposed to customizable UIs. I want to
customize it, desire it to be customizable because it isnt designed with artist
in mind.

The Hotbox is a perfect point. Count the steps to perform any command with it
versus the basic interface. In the Hotbox its often 1, 2, or more steps extra.
Why would anybody want to use a system like that if they know its going to
create so much extra work. Thats illogical. Its an awesome idea, but its
traditional implementation is illogical. So close to be something truly
beautiful, but not designed with the user in mind. Yes its practical. But the
commands you need are not there when you click on the spacebar,  you have to
keep digging through marking menus to get there, but they should be if you want
it that way.

You don't have to sell me on the idea of the hotbox, its a very good one. But
its not cooked yet. In some ways its an unpleasant experience. Somebody needs
to put it back in the oven and let it finish. But that i guess is the true
irony of Maya. Its a strong capable and stable software, but often not the most
pleasant user interface experience and its available customizations often dont
help that situation.

Incidentally i don't blame AD for that. They did not design the software, AW
did. And only time will tell if AD is able to fix it.

Joey