I agree, rigging as an specialization will be replaced by tools in the next
5-10 years (and riggers will move to development or other disciplines).

We have already seen several algorithms to create armatures based on the
mesh shape, there are tools to convert "delta mush" like deformations to
simple linear skinning (easing the weighting process significatively) and
there are no doubts that sculpting will make their way into rigging.
Films/VFX productions present a totally different scenario, but we are
going towards simulation anyways so it eventually will be automated too.

And all of this is available today!

I'm pretty sure we will finally see/be-part of a change on the rigging
paradigm.

Exciting times ahead :)
Cheers!