It's not you, Chris. It is very expensive for software that is only
rent-able--and yes, subscribing for a year is still effectively renting. I
brew my own coffee and pay less than 25 cents per cup--not $5.77 (the
adjusted price of a 5 day work week rather than 4.17 for working 7 days a
week.) The whole thing comes off as sleazy car salesman, but it is
unfortunately what I would expect from AD.

I would, however, not be surprised if we see someone from AD jumping onto
this thread ​explaining this latest 'benevolent' ploy and how this is
better for all of us kind of horsepucky.

<rant>
One of the biggest parts of Autodesk and Adobe CC is that for production,
generally, we don't care about the having the cutting edge until it has
been proven stable. So while having access to beta to know what is coming
down the pike and to test how the new version is going to break tools, the
truth of the day to day is that we need a stable version of the software to
get our work done quickly and with the fewest problems. AD marketing is so
clueless to paint us in the light that we are all a bunch of hipster
douche-bags pushing a button to advance to the next script and letting the
computer work for a few hours while we go off in between mountain-biking
and surfing like a glorified George Jetson.
</rant>