From: Jordi Bares
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:15 PM
To: Official Softimage Users Mailing
List.https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/xsi_list
Subject: Re: Opinion gathering

Below

Sent from my iPhone

On 16 Feb 2017, at 18:47, phil harbath <phil.harb...@jamination.com> wrote:

  I am very curious on how people feel about houdini’s character animation
tools.  I am reluctant to move on from Softimage until there is something out
there that is at least close to being on par with it.

It is pretty similar and although you will miss a few things (like the mixer)
you will get others (like muscles, advanced rigging, chops,...)

Don't worry and give it a go

  Specifically the Shape Manager, non-destructive weights, and the animation
mixer really help me get the job done, and when it comes to the negative things
I hear about Maya it has kept me from making the leap in that direction even
though I theoretically own 2 copies,  I really am hoping that Houdini is close
because I really only want to make a change once.

Shape management you do it out of the box through nodal workflow. Not as slick
but more powerful.

Non-destructive is the name of the game.

No mixer but you have animation layers (although a bit wonky)

Rigging is way way better in Houdini

Hope it helps

Jb

  thanks